39 Things I Wish I'd Known About Losing Weight
Things that would've made the experience easier
Looking back, I wish I hadn't been so hard on myself. I eventually found a balance for myself and slimmed down to a healthy weight, but only found success in maintaining it when I found compassion for myself. If I could've heard it, these are 39 things I wish someone would've shared with me, for it would've made the journey a lot easier.
What I Would've Told My Previous Self About Losing Weight
1. It’s okay to want to lose weight for looks. It doesn’t make you vain, it means you want to take care of yourself.
2. Every day counts, but also a single day doesn't matter.
3. Don’t diet. It’s not worth the stress, and it doesn’t even work.
4. Eat all the fruits you want. Japanese clementines are especially good snacks and desserts for the winter time. Watermelon for the summer.
5. You’ll have to home cook. First you’ll look for ways around this, later you’ll look for ways to make more time for it.
6. Routine is good, it makes making helpful choices easier.
7. Eat desserts. It’s fine.
8. Just don’t eat desserts out of stress. Workouts are better at relieving stress.
9. But if you do stress eat, don’t sweat. I still love you.
10. Find ways to make vegetables taste delicious. Ask mom.
11. When you go grocery shopping, always buy a vegetable, even if you don’t know what to do with it. The internet will help you.
12. Rice cooker? Life saver.
13. 70% diet, 30% exercise is true.
14. You’re probably exercising too much, and not sleeping enough. Get more sleep.
15. Frozen fruits and vegetables are your friends.
16. Also a nice set of tupperware.
17. Take photos of the food you make. You should be proud.
18. Don’t get on a scale. It’s not you.
19. Forget cereal, muesli will treat you better. Have it with almond milk.
20. A 10 minute run can turn your whole day around.
21. The 7 minute workout app is also pretty useful.
22. Block and report weight loss ads. Every time.
23. Women in bikinis telling you how to get a six pack are overrated. You’ll find happiness without one.
24. Don’t eat with a laptop open. No phone either.
25. If you’re hungry, eat. If you’re unsure, drink water.
26. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, have it with green tea.
27. Or chamomile if it’s nighttime.
28. Don’t tell people about trying to lose weight. Everyone will have an opinion and it’s rarely helpful.
29. People will sometimes jokingly sabotage too. I still don’t really know why.
30. Focus more on eating more vegetables, not on cutting foods out.
31. Buy a vegetable-based cookbook. Spend at least $20 on it.
32. Self confidence is internal.
33. Connect with people who support you. Even strangers on the internet are fine.
34. Spend money on your health. None of it is wasteful.
35. No, really. Workout clothes, kitchen supplies, fitness gadgets, subscriptions to things. It’s all fair game.
36. Trust your body’s intuition.
37. When in doubt: moderation, variety, joy. That’s all you need.
38. Well that, and lots of vegetables!
39. You might not believe it now, but you’ll look very different a year from now. You're doing great, just keep going.